So I was looking back at my op log, a record of every time I leave the base. We are actually busier this time than my last deployment. I'm saying this because I haven't written as often mainly because I'm busy. However, most of the time i cannot comment.
Last night is an exception only because it was the scariest night of my life. We have been moving lately on what the Army likes to call "movement to contact." Which is exactly what it sounds like. Our team goes out with the hope of bad dudes trying to shoot us...good plan right? This type of op is surprisingly left out of movies, which of course is why I joined, it looked cool in the movies I've seen.
Back on track...we had heavy Iraqi support which means more than 20 dudes and just half our normal team. We get out and start moving through a, I'll call it a village, and from the tree it lights up with bad asses taking pot shots at us. My team moves on line and engages. However...everyone but my guys had literally just taken off running in the other direction. Leaving us there down about I estimated 3 to 1. This was those one minute seemed like an hour moments and we used every trick in the book to break contact and get out. Everyone is safe, not even a scratch...God loves us. This did however lead to several of our guys needing to be restrained on returning to base and for good reason. The reason I bring this up is for one reason: If any media outlet is saying these guys are ready for total control of their country they are delusional, at best. We're going to be here for a long time and that's sad because there is nothing here worth an American life at this point. So in closing thank you for your prayers but send more because we used a lot them last night and stay involved back home.
P.S. I'm doing well and while dismayed sometimes at our current situation in this war I love my life and job. See you guys in five months.
No comments:
Post a Comment